Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tops and Bottoms

I was thinking about "updating my wardrobe", which is always an intimidating prospect, but now, thanks to the internet, I can experiment in the safety and privacy of my own home.  I went to the Urban Outfitters website, and witnessed some shit that can only be described as flamboyantly metrosexual.

I wanted to check out their shorts, but I couldn't find any because they don't have a shorts category, they have a "Bottoms" category.   And rather than having a shirts category, they have a section for "Tops".  This is gay on at least two levels, and possibly several more that I'm not even aware of.  The theme of the site is "All The Young Dudes", which is a song, written by paragon of androgyny David Bowie, that has lyrics like "Now Lucy looks sweet cause he dresses like a queen, but he can kick like a mule it's a real mean team."

In the greater context of this website, the pink font doesn't even rate on the gay scale.

I wasn't really ready for any of this - it was too much too soon, but the website does have one attribute that makes me feel a little more comfortable.  They seem to be copying American Apparel, where the models are "unconventionally attractive/conventionally unattractive", but they take things one step further.  The next phase in the evolution is to use models with terrible posture and low self-esteem.  On one hand, this means my look is finally fashionable.  On the other,  instead of just being called a loser, maybe I'll also be called a poseur.

The computer science look is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment