Saturday, March 13, 2010

Fugazi Shirt

Is there anything more ridiculous than a faux-vintage t-shirt, bought from a department store?

Yes, a hipster wearing a real-vintage shirt, calling the faux-vintage guy a poseur.  Man, hipster:  if you walk around wearing someone else's clothes, you shouldn't be calling anyone an imposter.  But the hipster might argue that they're co-opting the clothes ironically; by wearing something that's obviously not theirs, it makes them the opposite of a phony - if you tell the world your goal is to be a fraud, and you are a fraud, that makes you the real deal:  an authentic fake.  This is their only way of rebelling against their suburban, sales-culture parents, who are instead fake authentic; its also the closest they can come to being "real".

If faux-vintage is fake-authentic-fake, and real vintage is authentic-fake, does that make me authentic, or simply fake?  If I were truly above it all, I wouldn't give a shit, so by asking that question, I've admitted I'm a fraud.  Does that make me authentic-fake?  Maybe if I think about this long enough, I'll stop caring, and finally become authentic, but if I don't care, I'll have nothing to gain, so it won't even matter.  Maybe that's the point.

Too old to give a shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment